- Purpose and Values
- Rhodes Scholars
- Student Map
- College Staff
- College Governance
- Contact Us
A brief history of St Mark's College
1920 | The Reverend K Julian F Bickersteth moved, and Sir Lancelot Stirling seconded, a motion in the Anglican Synod of the Diocese of Adelaide, on 7 September, that a committee be appointed to consider what steps should be taken to establish a college for students of the University of Adelaide.
1921 | In its report to the Synod on 8 September, the committee recommended the establishment of the College be proceeded with as soon as possible and that it be open to students of all denominations. The report was adopted and a Provisional Committee was formed in December. This Committee continued to act until a permanent governing body was elected in the form of a Council four years later.
1922 | A public meeting was held in the Adelaide Town Hall on 29 May which led to the formation of a large General Committee and an Executive Committee to found the College.
1923 | An Appeal for donated funds was launched to establish the College and an Agreement was made to purchase the historic Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide former residence of the Downer family. Situated close to the University, this heritage listed property was built in 1877.
1924 | The name "St Mark's" was chosen for the new College to honour the saint on whose day the ANZAC landing at Gallipoli took place. Archibald Grenfell Price was appointed as its first Master on 17 December.
1925 | The first St Mark's College Council was elected. The first General Meeting of the Common Room (St Mark's College Club) was held on Wednesday, 11 March. On Sunday, 15 March, the College was opened by the Governor, Lieutenant-General Sir Tom Bridges, and blessed by Bishop Nutter Thomas. The College coat of arms was devised and the first edition of the College "Record" published.
1926 | Opening of the first stage of the "New Wing", the first 20 rooms of what is now Newland Building.
1927 | Six rooms added to the "New Wing" and space found for additional residents in rental accommodation nearby. The St Mark's Collegians' Association. was established in November. A gymnasium occupied the ground floor of the old stable building (now the Chapel).
1928 | Purchase of The Cottage, the College's oldest heritage listed building dating from 1839 now known as Walkley Cottage, and construction of an external wooden staircase to access the upstairs Common Room in Downer House. The Wranglers' Club (hospitality and debating) was established and the first Bumping Races were held on the River Torrens.
1934 | The third stage of building added six more rooms to the "New Wing". The loft of the old stable building, now the Chapel, was converted into a library and lecture room. St Mark's played its first inter-Collegiate football match defeating Melbourne's Trinity College in Adelaide.
1937 | The fourth stage of building increased the accommodation in the "New Wing" by a further 12 rooms. The Dining Hall, situated in what is now the Junior Common Room, was extended westward by means of a Collegians' Appeal.
1939 | A domestic staff block, later named "Lewis House", was built on the College's Kermode Street frontage.
1940 | In December, the College was leased to the RAAF for the duration of World War II and the students were relocated to two lodging houses and a villa in Kermode Street. Here, common meals and tutorial rooms were provided. Numbers continued to fall in subsequent years.
1946 | The College reopened on 10 March and the loft of the stable building, part of the original purchase of the Downer property, was converted to a small Chapel known as "The Oratory". Mr Robert Brook Lewis AM was appointed as Vice-Master.
1947 | A fifth building stage added another six rooms to the "New Wing", providing 50 rooms in all. Some of the additions made by the RAAF during their occupation were purchased by the College.
1948 | The old Dining Hall was extended northwards. Two external buildings were leased to provide extra accommodation. The publication, the College "Record", was enlarged to become "The Lion" which still exists today.
1949 | "North House" in Kermode Street, North Adelaide, was purchased by the College. Rental accommodation to house growing numbers included "Montefiore", now Aquinas College. The College celebrated its silver Jubilee.
1951 | In the third term, the first stage of Memorial Building (the central section) was available for occupation. The College Coat of Arms was formally granted by The College of Arms, London.
1952 | Opening of the first stage of Memorial Building by the Governor, Sir Willoughby Norrie, on 20 April, and unveiling of the plaque bearing the names of eighteen members of the College who gave their lives in the war.
1953 | The "New Wing" was renamed in honour of Sir Henry Simpson Newland, a founder, Foundation Fellow and former Chairman of the Council for more than 25 years. The College expanded its Pennington Terrace frontage with the acquisition of the "Randell property", now Grenfell Price Lodge.
1955 | The old Dining Hall was extended southwards. The table tennis room and bicycle sheds were fitted out.
1956 | Retirement of Dr Archibald Grenfell Price after serving as Master for 32 years.
1957 | Appointment of the Vice-Master, Mr Robert Brook Lewis AM, as the second Master of the College.
1961 | The new Grenfell Price Dining Hall was opened for use on March 17, with 15 bed-study rooms and loft above. The old Turner Dining Hall became the Junior Common Room.
1962 | Two cottages known as "Cain and Abel" on the western boundary of the College's Kermode Street frontage in use. The Creswell flats were purchased.
1963 | East House (also known as "east Umbria") in use.
1964 | The sixth and final stage of Newland Building was completed and the whole building renovated. The figures of St Mark and the Lion fountains were presented to the College by the Downer family.
1965 | The Library moved from the old stable building to Grenfell Price Hall and the Chapel was renovated.
1966 | The western extension of Memorial Building was occupied in first term. The Middle Common Room was instituted for senior undergraduates or members of the Junior Common Room with their first degrees. A College icon, The Gas Truck, a 1926 Dodge, was purchased and rebuilt by students at St Mark's for its new role as a means of transport for College residents.
1967 | Replacement of the timber Senior Common Room external stairway with a solid construction. Retirement of the Master Mr Robert Brook Lewis AM.
1968 | Rev'd Malcolm McKenzie, Chaplain of St Mark's College, was appointed as the third Master. The eastern extension of Memorial Building was completed in August. The Kermode Street wall and bicycle sheds were also completed. Renovations were carried out to North and East Houses.
1969 | The College Clock on the Grenfell Price Hall wall was presented by Lady Angas.
1970 | The heritage listed Hawker House, built in 1883, was occupied by the College for the first time.
1972 | North House in Kermode Street was sold.
1973 | East House was converted into two town houses and Creswell Flats renovated. The Gas Truck was restored.
1975 | Celebration of the College's first 50 years at a Golden Jubilee.
1976 | Chapel loft partially removed. Installation of the chapel altar.
1978 | Dr Peter Geoffrey Edwards AM succeeded Rev'd Malcolm McKenzie as the fourth Master of the College.
1981 | Cain and Abel cottages renovated. Abbot Lane cottages demolished to make way for car park. Demolition of old RAAF addition to Lewis House and new extension completed.
1982 | Women undergraduates first admitted to the College. The Cottage renovations were completed and the building re-opened as Walkley Cottage. Resignation of Dr Peter Edwards AM as Master of the College.
1983 | Rev'd Peter Thomson AM installed as the fifth Master of St Mark's.
1984 | Creswell flats renovated
1985 | The College celebrated its Diamond Jubilee.
1988 | A R LeMessurier Computer Room established in Downer House.
1989 | Hawker Annexe renovations commenced to provide a total of 16 rooms.
1990 | Resignation of the Master, Rev'd Peter Thomson AM.
1991 | Mr C Robin Ashwin appointed as the sixth Master of St Mark's College. Opening of the Brooks Gates on the College's Pennington Terrace frontage.
1992 | Television Room adjacent to Chapel completed.
1996 | Opening of New Cain flats. New Kawaii RX-2 Grand Piano installed in the Senior Common Room. A weights room and a new music room were made available.
1997 | College computer room was upgraded and internet website available.
1999 | The Master, Mr C Robin Ashwin retired in December
2000 | The Hon John Charles Bannon appointed as the seventh Master of the College.
2001 | Cabling of the College buildings and the installation of Sunray computers in student rooms. Demolition of old Cain and Abel cottages.
2002 | New Abel flats opened on the north west of the College, and Walkley Cottage was renovated.
2003 | Lift installed to provide disabled access to the upper level of Downer House.
2004 | Restoration of The Gas Truck.
2005 | Opening of the Allister McLeod Sports Pavilion on 6 March.
2007 | Opening of the Matheson and Wall Buildings which respectively join the western and eastern sides of the Lewis Building with its newly constructed second level on Sunday 25 February. Upgrading of the pond area through the "Buy a Brick" appeal. A sound-proof music room created adjacent to the Chapel. Resignation of the Master, Dr the Hon J C Bannon AO
2008 | Installation of the former Dean of the College, Ms Rose Alwyn, as the eighth Master of St Mark's and the first female in this role.